1840’s-1940’s World Landmarks IN COLOR!
These 10 photographs, in monochrome and then reconstructed color, are taken from the forthcoming book The Paper Time Machine, a collaboration between Retronaut and Jordan Lloyd of Dynamichrome. The finished book will contain 130 reconstructed color historical photographs arranged chronologically, chosen and introduced by Retronaut.
1. Apr. 1844 – Nelson’s Column under Construction, Trafalgar Square, London
2. 1882 – Workers can be seen building the Statue of Liberty inside French sculptor Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi’s workshop in Paris.
3. 1880’s – The bell-tower of the Sacre Coeur Basilica can be seen under construction on the Montmartre Hill in Paris.
4. Tower Bridge was begun in 1881 and opened in 1894, London.
5. Jul. 1888 – Construction of the Eiffel Tower, Paris.
6. The renovations at Stone Henge in 1919 and 1920.
7. May 31, 1932 – Inspection of the Washington, Mt. Rushmore, South Dakota.
8. 1935 – Officials pose on the penstock pipes of the soon-to-be-completed Hoover Dam, Arizona.
9. 1934 – Golden Gate Bridge under construction, San Francisco, California.
10. 1942 – They covered the Taj Mahal in bamboo to disguie it from enemy bombers in WWII.