luke1With his father gone as early as the age of 10, Luke Keller was left without a father figure in his life. The other male in the family was his grandfather, who had been taken off to prison. His grandmother passed away from cancer, and the only person he could turn to for comfort was his mother.

Luke Keller has definitely had more trauma in his life than most do at his young age. He told his mother, Dawn Keller, about the depression. Keller began counseling but the therapeutic treatment never got rid of his suicidal thoughts. In fact, they grew worse.

One day, as the Portsmouth Daily Times reports, Luke had decided that he was going to end his life on that very day. However, on that day he also decided to try out something he had never done before – pray to God.

Luke recalls praying intensively to God:

“I said ‘God if you are real. If you are what people say you are, then tell me something because today I’m going to end my life. I need you now if you’re real.’”

Right there and then, his prayers were answered when he heard a comforting voice say:

“I want you to follow me.”

Luke fell to his knees in astonishment and quickly felt a pulse course through his body. He was healed.

At every football game after that, Luke would kneel in the end zone after every touchdown and point upwards toward the sky in gratitude of the time God spoke to him to encourage him to move on with his life. As the story would have it, not everyone was pleased by this gesture of his. When his team started to play in the second round of the play-offs, one of the sports officials told Luke that that kind of behaviour wouldn’t be tolerated, and that if he did it again, he would not be allowed to play for the rest of the game.

“I was completely devastated,” Keller explains. “What I play for is to glorify God. I decided I was just going to do it and if I got thrown out, then I got thrown out. I wouldn’t even be here right now if it wasn’t for God saving me.”

It was then that his sister gave him a note that read

“Be patient and let God work.”

On the second-half of the game he scored another touchdown, but this time he decided to refrain from doing his gesture. To his surprise, when he looked at the stands, all of the 7,000 people in the bleachers began to kneel and point towards the sky!

Luke was recruited by Morehead State University in Kentucky, but his troubles didn’t end there. Luke suffered from an accident on the field, and got a sprained ankle. There were some complications with the surgery, as the surgeon had made some mistakes during the process. He had operated on both ankles, thinking that  both were injured. Eventually, although it took some time, his injuries healed and has moved on with his life, never forgetting that putting God first will always bring a myriad of blessings.