This Is Why You Should Never Sleep With Your Contacts In!

Cincinnati resident Chad Groeschen is a prime example of why improper care of contact lenses can cause some seriously scary consequences.

(Facebook: Chad Groeschen)

(Facebook: Chad Groeschen)

The 39-year-old scuba diver and hiker shared his story for a good reason: One day, Chad felt a strange itchiness in his eyes. He passed it off as just a mild allergy and removed his contact lenses before going to sleep. Then, when he woke up to a cloudy vision in his left eye, he made a trip to the hospital to find out what was happening.

SEE ALSO: “What Happened When Parents Put Their Blind Baby In Front Of A Piano Blew Them Away”

It was discovered that he had contracted Pseudomonas bacteria. Some cases of this bacteria have been linked to extended-wear contact lenses, which is what Chad was using. The bacteria grew under the lens and caused severe inflammation.

(Facebook: Chad Groeschen)

(Facebook: Chad Groeschen)

The good news? Doctors were able to eliminate the infection right away.
The bad news? The damage caused by the infection was irreversible.

He’ll need a corneal transplant to regain some of his vision, but that won’t happen until his eye is completely healed.

The American Academy of Ophthalmology released a statement regarding concerns toward users of extended-wear contact lenses. Improper care and cleaning of these lenses, as well as wearing them for too long (especially overnight) can be more than risky and cause permanent damage to your eyes.

We urge you to take care of your eyes by cleaning and using your lenses as directed.

  • Do not sleep with your contact lenses in regardless of if they’re made for overnight wear.
  • Properly change out contact lens solution every day.
  • Refrain from swimming or bathing while wearing lenses.
  • Don’t wear them when you’re sick! 

Check out this news coverage of Chad’s story. Warning: This video might not be suitable for those who are squeamish.

Article/Video: ViralNova